Tarrant County Courthouse

Fort Worth, TX

Expertise

  • Historical
  • Municipal

Services

  • Civil Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Land Surveying
  • Mechanical/Plumbing Engineering

BHB provided complete civil and MEP engineering design services for replacement of the chilled water plant serving the 1895 Tarrant County Courthouse, one of the first structural steel-framed buildings in the Southwestern United States. This project included boring a 30-inch diameter utility tunnel underneath Weatherford Street from the Tarrant County Administration Building to the Courthouse.

The existing chilled water plant serving the courthouse was located in the basement of the adjacent Civil Courts Building. The master plan for the courthouse included relocation of the chilled water plant from the Civil Courts Building, and then demolition of the Civil Courts Building, leaving the 1895 Courthouse alone on the site as it was originally constructed. The chilled water plant will be relocated to the basement of the County Administration Building, approximately 300 feet away on Weatherford Street.

The chilled water plant for the 1895 Courthouse includes two water cooled chillers, two primary chilled water pumps, two variable speed secondary chilled water pumps and two condenser water pumps. The new chilled water mains are routed underground from the north side of the Administration Building to the north side of the Courthouse. This project also included installation of a new cooling tower on the roof of the Administrative Building, adjacent to the existing cooling towers.

Key People

Recognition

Award